Today I bring you my second layout as Guest Designer for Lottie Loves Paper.
Did I already say how much I love the kit this month? The Pinkfresh Studio embellishments are so cool! I must admit that when I first saw them I wasn’t totally sold on them. At a first glance I didn’t think those shades of blue, green and pink went together. But as the days passed, the more I looked at them the more I liked them! And now that I have actually put them on a layout, I actually love them!
Everything in this layout except for the twine and the little splatters came from the kit. Isn’t that amazing? And I still have plenty left over!
Because of the “Fibonacci inspired” hand stitching was so raised, I had to pop up all my embellishments on the page. I actually went for the biggest foam pads that I have, as I really wanted them to be lifted off the page. The puffy stickers that I used are also quite raised, so overall I think it worked quite well.
I hope that you have enjoyed this layout, and read you soon!
As I get ready to attend another crop next weekend (Scrap Cafe in Bracknell), here I am sharing another layout that I made at the Artful Angels crop last month.
I added the stitching at home only recently, as I thought that it needed something else and it was looking a bit bare in the edges. And so glad I did! It really works very well.
I just used my watercolours directly into the cardstock, I didn’t prime it with gesso first. But it is a 300gsm cardstock, so very thick, and I knew that the watercolour would be fine on it.
I then borrowed a few tiny punches from the crop table and went through my stash looking for papers that would match the watercolours. The papers used under the photo and for the photo corners are from the gorgeous Sunshine and Happiness collection by Simple Stories. It is such a bright and colourful collection, I love it!
So, as you can see, a very simple layout, but I just love the simplicity of it and how the photo is still the focal point. I hope you like it!
And a close up:
My husband was out the other night, so I decided to make a quick layout with a photo I had printed that morning. Unfortunately, I run out of 6×4 photo paper and had to print it in 7×5, which turns out is huge! Remember my scrapbook is 8×8, which in reality is smaller than that, so a 7 inches wide photo takes up most of the space on a page!
But, hey, nevermind. Off I went. Since the photo was so big, I knew I had to keep the layout quite simple, so I decided to do some hand stitching. My first experience with stitching wasn’t great, however I did some stitching in one of the Paige Evans layouts and it was much easier that time, so I knew I wanted to try again.
The thread I used was from one of those cheap sewing kits. I still need to go and look for proper thread, as I found this one too flimsy and difficult to work with. I have been recommended a couple of brands, so next time I’m shopping I’ll keep an eye.
And this is it. A very simple layout due to the huge photo, but the important bit was documenting this memory of a time when bedtimes weren’t easy. It’s not all about remembering the happy times, it’s also about the not-so-good times!
The hand stitching took me much longer than I expected, so maybe I need to keep practising, and perhaps find that thread that will make it less flimsy!
Ok, so the other dayI tried to do “hand embroidery” or stitching, or whatever you call it, on paper. I’ve seen so many layouts with gorgeous embroidery that I wanted to give it a go myself!
As I scrapbook directly into a book, I thought I would practice first on some scrap cardstock. So I cut some hearts with a punch and made the holes using SU! Paper piercing guides (so useful! as I didn’t want to have to eye it)
Firstly, I wanted to use a thick needle because I knew I wanted to use twine rather than normal thread, however I found it impossible to pierce through the cardstock! So I chose a smaller, sharper needle which went through perfectly.
But when I went to actually “sew” with the twine, the cardstock kept being destroyed! So I went back to normal sewing thread which worked perfectly.
A very frustrating process, let me tell you. I don’t know if it’s because I was working on such small pieces of card that it kept bending down when piercing them. I’ve been recommended to make bigger holes (although, as I said above, the tool I was using wouldn’t even go through the cardstock) or to try to only pierce every other hole.
Adventure number one in “new scrapbooking techniques” FAILED! Must try harder. 🙂