So I have finally finished my first mixed media project and it has not been an easy ride. To start with, my cardstock base sat on my office untouched for way too long. I kept looking at it and not wanting to finish it. I was overwhelmed just by the thought! But I finally finished it…

Lessons learnt:

1) I really struggle with 12×12. It’s an overwhelming amount of space to work with (for me). Having worked on 8×8 for such a long time, anything bigger just feels huge. Funny though, because the 12×12 layout that I did back in May for the National Scrapbooking Week was easier, it flowed better. I wonder if rather than the size, this time the problem was the mixed media aspect that put me off.

2) find a different nail polish to wear whilst scrapping, as unfortunately I have left pink streaks around my page . I am not a girly-girl and I very rarely put on any make up or nail varnish, so it was really unfortunate that this precise time I was wearing some!

3) I thought I had pressed “record” on my phone before starting working on it but silly me, I didn’t record any of it. So what was going to be my first process video is gone 🙁 Now I can’t really decide if I can be bothered with making process videos or not, as I scrap when I can, most of the time at night when the light is really rubbish, so I don’t want to stop my creativity and time to scrap for the sake of a video. We’ll see what happens next…

Overall I am not too displeased with my final layout but it was a big step away from my comfort zone. I may scrap this photo again at some point in the future (especially because it is printed in normal cardstock rather than photo paper. I just wanted to be done with this layout and it needed to be a 5×7 photo, so for speed sake I just printed it in normal cardstock – it looks good, though. You can be fooled by it)

A couple of days later after finishing the 12×12 layout, I have started another mixed media project… This time I have taken an 8×8 piece of cardstock from my book and trimmed the edges a bit.

I mixed the gesso directly with a tiny bit of brown acrylic paint and a few drops of gold Heidi Shine, and I am very pleased with the shade I got (it’s a bit more pink-ish than brown-ish in natural light)

I spread it all over my paper (same card from my 8×8 book but trimmed smaller) and let it dry. By the way, I need to find an old gift card or similar for the spreading, as at the moment I am using my expired Spanish ID card and I need to be careful not to destroy it!

Once dry I applied some texture paste on the flower mask. I found this quite hard as I didn’t want to get over the line, but the mask is so tiny that I had to be super careful. Maybe next time I’ll carefully apply some washi tape around the edges?

I let the paste dry in a place that I thought was safe, however my cat managed to get a paw there when it was still slightly wet. You have to look very closely to notice it but I thought it was hilarious.

And finally a few more splatters of gold Heidi shine.

The plan now is to stick this to my 8×8 card and work with it as a background. So I’ll get back to you soon with a finished layout when I figure out what I am going to do! (I don’t really have any photos at the moment that would sit well with this background)

 

Mixed media background for a future layout
Mixed media background for a future layout
Finished first mixed media layout
Finished first mixed media layout

(For this layout I used the Sea Breeze collection by Kaisercraft – I love those colours!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *